JEC Group have brought together the international community of composites leaders and executives in our Composites Circle as an unique networking opportunity to meet with both peers and future partners.
The company has signed an agreement to invest in Porous Power Technologies, LLC, a Colorado, U.S. based company developing technology for lithium-ion battery separators. Under the agreement, Ahlstrom will subscribe for approximately 49% of the shares in Porous Power while the remaining 51% of the shares will be held by the current owners of Porous Power. Ahlstrom has an option to acquire the remaining shares at a later stage.
Ahlstrom, together with Porous Power, will be offering a new generation of separator solutions for safer batteries and capacitors in electric-drive vehicles, e-bikes, portable electronics and utility-grade storage products. Porous Power's current separator products are already being evaluated by battery manufacturers around the world. The products for electric vehicles will be commercially available in larger scale later.
Battery separators, which keep the positive and negative electrodes (anode and cathode) from touching each other and short-circuiting, are vitally important in the performance and safety of electric vehicles. Ahlstrom has been developing lightweight nonwoven materials for lithium-ion membrane separators since 2008 and has worked closely with Porous Power for several years.
According to industry analysts, the overall market for lithium-ion battery separators is expected to grow to USD 2.5 billion in 2020 (approx. EUR 1.9 billion), mainly driven by the demand for electric vehicles.
"In line with our strategy, we are seeking growth opportunities in unique products, both in our existing businesses as well as in new technologies. Porous Power's membrane technology has high potential and is a good fit with our technology base. Ahlstrom will use its extensive know-how and experience in automotive industry to respond to the market needs in the fast-evolving electric vehicle business in particular," says Jan Lång, President and CEO, Ahlstrom.
The new investment will be part of Ahlstrom's Building and Energy Business Area.
About AhlstromAhlstrom is a high-performance materials company, partnering with leading businesses around the world to help them stay ahead. Our products are used in a large variety of everyday applications, such as filters, wallcovers, flooring, labels and food packaging. We have a leading market position in the businesses in which we operate. Our 5,700 employees serve customers in 26 countries on six continents. In 2010, Ahlstrom's net sales amounted to EUR 1.9 billion. The company's share is quoted on the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki.More information: www.ahlstrom.com
About Porous PowerPorous Power Technologies, LLC makes electrode separators that reduce the cost and improve the safety, performance, efficiency and life of lithium-ion batteries, particularly large-format cells for electric vehicles, stationary power and consumer electronics applications. More information: www.porouspower.com