The uses of composite materials in both the interior and exterior of buildings is growing all over the world, increasingly being used by architects to create modern and more environmentally friendly ‘low energy’ buildings.
This publication brings together some of the most impressive examples from around the world where composites have been successful used in building and construction projects, providing a deeper understanding of the design freedom and possibilities with composite materials in all aspects of buildings and construction.
Each application story included in the publication has been selected from articles previously published in JEC Composites Magazine in the last 10 years. The articles included cover a broad range of composite materials and many different interior, exterior and structural end use applications in domestic, commercial and public buildings. Included are also a number of interviews with leading contemporary architects and designers, who explain their approach and motivation to use composites in preference to more traditional building materials.
Composites represent a growing opportunity for the building industry. Inherent properties, such as being strong, lightweight, corrosion resistant and able to be easily moulded into complex curved shapes, combined with long term performance capabilities provide so much potential in a wide range of construction application areas, along with other benefits compared with using more traditional materials.
Topic areas covered in this publication include:
- Types of composite materials used in construction, including resins, reinforcements, wood plastic composites, coatings and fire retardant additives
- Methods of producing complex design, curved shaped composite parts
- Meeting regulatory specifications for building materials
- Earthquake zone building solutions
- New build and refurbishment projects
- Commercial buildings and domestic housing
- Wall cladding and façades
- Composite roofing systems
- Composite doors and widows
- Acoustic solutions using composites
- Interviews with leading architects and designers
Publication date: November 2011